The Amador Resource Conservation District (ARCD) was organized by the Amador County Board of Supervisors on October 16, 1950, under Division IX of the California Public Resources Code.
The district covers 445,500 acres, including all of Amador County, the western portion of Alpine County, and land in Calavaras County owned by the East Bay Municipal Utilities District.
District policies and programs are developed by an elected Board of Directors, consisting of five local landowners. Their primary responsibility is to plan and direct a resource conservation program, obtain assistance, coordinate the help of government agencies and other interested organizations, assign priorities to resource development tasks, and serve as a community clearing-house for information and services.
Rather than establish an independent technical staff, the district relies on the personnel and facilities of several federal and state agencies. Chief among the cooperating agencies is the Natural Resource Conservation Service, the only agency that receives federal funding for direct technical assistance to districts.