SECP Trainings

Many members of the Sacramento/Amador Water Quality Alliance (SAWQA) are subject to the Sediment and Erosion Control Plan (SECP) Requirement under the Sacramento Valley Waste Discharge Order.

A SECP must be certified, irrigators can participate in a training to be able to self-certify.  SAWQA is offering several trainings to assist irrigators in being able to self-certify their own plans.

Upcoming Trainings:

Partner Hosted Trainings

October 29th, Sunday                                                                                                        1pm-4pm                                                                                                                              Where: CA Small Farm Conference   Robert Cabral Ag. Center              Cost: ~$35                                                                                                                        Register Here:

November 2nd, Thursday                                                                                                 8am-1pm                                                                                                                                  Where: American Legion Hall, 1305 N. 1st Street, Dixon CA 95620    Register: Call: (707)678-1655 x103                                                            email:

Sacramento/Amador Water Quality Alliance Hosted Trainings

SAWQA held two SECP trainings in September 2017, additional trainings may be hosted in the Winter 17-18.

What are my other SECP certification options?                                               If a member does not want to self-certify their own plan they can hire a professional to write and certify their SECP.  Under the Central Valley Regional Board’s Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program  a member can hire a qualified professional possessing one of the following registrations or certifications, and appropriate experience with erosion issues on irrigated agricultural lands (CA Registered Professionsal Civil Engineer (PE), CA Registered Professional Geologist or Engineering Geologist, CA Registered Professional Landscape Architect, Professional Hydrologist, Certified Soil Scientist (CPSS), Certified Professional in Erosion & Sediment Control (CPESC), Certified Professional in Storm Water Quality. Click here for a list of local qualified professionals.

Sediment & Erosion Control Plan Requirement

Members requiring a Sediment & Erosion Control Plan (SECP) for one or more of their parcels enrolled in Sacramento/Amador Water Quality Alliance (SAWQA) have been notified by mail.

SECPs are kept on your farm or in your office and not returned to SAWQA.

A SECP must be prepared in one of the following ways:

  • Be prepared and self-certified by the member who has completed a training (SAWQA is providing FREE training for members, Click here for more information on trainings)
  • Be written, amended and certified by a qualified professional possessing specific registrations or certifications, and appropriate experience with erosion issues on irrigated agricultural lands. Click here for a list of qualified professionals.
  • Adhere to site-specific recommendations from NRCS, RCD, UCCE

Why is my parcel listed as needing a SECP? Click Here to review the Risk Category Table; this table identifies the reasons why a parcel could be listed as needing an SECP.

Does my parcel qualify for an exception? There are a limited number of cases that could qualify a parcel for an SECP exemption.

  • If you have not turned in an Farm Evaluation Plan (FEP) or answered “YES” on FEP question A3 there is a possibility that returning your FEP could eliminate your SECP requirement. Review the Risk Category table for more information.
  • The Regional Board recognizes following exemptions to the requirement to complete a SECP:
    • The parcel is a wetland.
    • The parcel has zero irrigated acres.
    • The parcel is isolated topographically or protected by a hydraulic barrier and the parcel does not discharge tailwater.
    • The parcel has natural riparian vegetation that prohibits sediment discharges or erosion.

    There are specific requirements to qualify for these exemptions, members must notify SAWQA if they believe a parcel qualifies for an exemption.  

Questions?                                                                                                          Contact Jill Damskey  (209) 730-3150